Lumagen Forum
Lumagen Support Forum: Official Lumagen Video Processor & Scaler Forum

Members   Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Lumagen Video Processors & Scalers » Radiance XD User Support » Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2
Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Sun, 22 February 2015 00:25 Go to next message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
We have not yet announced the RadiancePro officially, and this is not intended to be an announcement, but information has been getting out. So, while I am very hesitant to take focus away from products we can actually sell today, I find talking about the Radiance Pro is getting much harder to avoid, and I am yielding to pressure to release more information.

We have been making good progress on the Radiance Pro design. I am going to provide a few tidbits about the Radiance Pro, but first, to those of you "waiting to buy" the Radiance Pro, please contact me at sales@lumagen.com to discuss a "loaner" program I have initiated. For a limited number of customers, if you purchase the Radiance Pro now, until it becomes available we will loan you an appropriate Radiance unit. Note, you must be under NDA to take advantage of this special offer.

I have decided to make this offer as I am talking to a number of people who would like a Radiance 2143 now but do not want to suffer the depreciation on the value of a current unit. With loaner program you have no loss of value in having a Radiance unit immediately. Lumagen benefits by gaining a sale now, rather than a someone just "waiting." Once we get the loaners back we will sell them as "pre-owned" units and so can recover a portion of the cost of this loaner program. Note that I have not talked about this loaner program with Lumagen dealers. So, if you are working with a dealer, you can ask them to call me to work out the details.

This loaner program applies to new sales only. However, if you bought a Radiance in recent months, feel free to give me a call (503-574-2211), and I will try to work with you on an excellent trade-in value for your current Radiance. If you have owned a Radiance longer we will be giving a good trade-in allowance toward a Radiance Pro. So, even if you have had your Radiance for years (thank you for your loyalty by the way) please give me a call or email and we can discuss trade-in options.

Note in Europe (other than Italy/Croatia), Gordon Fraser of Convergent AV (you are on his website for this forum) is acting as the contact person for Radiance Pro Beta. You can PM or email Gordon for information on the European Beta program. We expect our Italian distributor, Plasmapan, to be the Beta contact for Italy and Croatia, but we do not have the details worked out with Plasmapan yet. Of course if I can be of help, feel free to email me directly.

======================================

More information is available under NDA, but here are a couple tidbits about the first Radiance Pro model:

- Inputs and outputs are on dual-input, or dual-output, daughter cards. This helps in several ways. When new HDMI chip versions come on line you will be able to purchase HDMI upgrade cards rather than needing to buy a new unit. Using I/O cards also helps if you happen to have a power surge that takes out an input or an output. You can get back running by replacing one I/O card and not the entire unit.

- The base unit has six HDMI 2.0 inputs. This can be optioned up to eight HDMI 2.0 inputs. All inputs will support 4k60, 8-bit, 4:2:0.

- The base unit has two HDMI 2.0 outputs that support 4k60 8-bit 4:2:0. There is an option to add more outputs.

- The FPGA chip we are using in the Radiance Pro costs us more than an entire RadianceMini-3D unit ready to ship. This and other aspects of the Radiance Pro architecture mean it will sit above the top of the line Radiance 2144 in our product line.

I will provide more information over time. For now I hope this information is helpful to those of you who have been wondering about the Radiance Pro details.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Sun, 22 February 2015 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nashou66 is currently offline Nashou66
I can't wait. I know you told me edge blending is a far off possibility but still possible And that possibility is the one reason I will get this....... just for the hope. Wink

Athanasios

Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Thu, 26 February 2015 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dsinger is currently offline dsinger
Jim: To clarify, am I safe in assuming that all the HDMI inputs and outputs support the full 18.2 GB HDMI 2.0 spec along with HDCP 2.2?

Thanks
Dave Singer
Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Thu, 26 February 2015 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
dsinger wrote on Thu, 26 February 2015 06:53
Jim: To clarify, am I safe in assuming that all the HDMI inputs and outputs support the full 18.2 GB HDMI 2.0 spec along with HDCP 2.2?

Thanks
Dave Singer

Please contact me at support@lumagen.com and we will get you an NDA.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Wed, 04 March 2015 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
Here is some more information on the Radiance Pro:

All inputs and outputs are HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2. The new HDMI 2.0 chips are from Silicon Image and have an internal microprocessor with reprogrammable flash memory. This will allow Lumagen to provide updates when Silicon Image provides a new release and should help to eliminate compatibility issues.

Before with HDMI 1.X chips each company had to implement much of the HDMI protocols on its own. Often the HDMI specification, or the HDMI chip specifications, left a lot to the imagination. This meant each company had to make independent decisions on how to do their implementation based on incomplete specifications. Now with the internal processor being programmed by the chip manufacturer, and its processor doing virtually all the HDMI compatibility work, issues should be dramatically reduced. Even more so for the Radiance Pro when connected to other products that use the new Silicon Image HDMI 2.0 chips, which many will.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
icon14.gif  Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Wed, 04 March 2015 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alex_t is currently offline alex_t
Lumagen Expert
Hello Jim and thank you for the update.

The new design seems very smart.
Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Sun, 08 March 2015 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nudge is currently offline Nudge
Lumagen Expert
jim_peterson wrote on Wed, 04 March 2015 01:42
Here is some more information on the Radiance Pro:

All inputs and outputs are HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2.

You speak about 18.2 GBps ?

Source: BDT-110, HD-XE1, VT-1S, UFS-924
Calibration: LightSpace CMS, CalMAN 5 Pro, Chroma Pure, Radiance Pro 4446, Chroma 5, C6, EODIS3, i1 pro 2, Klein K10-A
Target: JVC-X7000, TX-P65VTW60
Sound: Yamaha RX-V2067,Theater LT 3
Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Mon, 09 March 2015 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
The chips we can currently buy support up to 4k60, 8-bit, 4:2:0, which equates to 9 GHz.

The 18 GHz chips should be available to us later this year and we plan to do a input and output module for the Radiance Pro for this. So there is an upgrade path for RadiancePro Beta owners to be able to upgrade to 18 GHz.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Sat, 18 April 2015 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
We are close to first shipment for our "Early Beta" program on the Radiance Pro 4k input to 4k output HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 video processor. We are requiring an NDA (nondisclosure agreement) for Early Beta, but are working to increase the number of Beta testers.

For Early Beta we are offering a no-charge upgrade from the 6 in, 2 out, model to the 8 in, 4 out, model, and for those who want to trade in a current Radiance unit, higher than normal trade-in credit.

On a rather frustrating note, we just had a very large price increase on the Radiance Pro FPGA from the chip vendor. The FPGA chip cost went from as much as a Radiance Mini to as much as a Radiance 2020 unit. Given the high cost to manufacture the Radiance Pro we were already at much lower margins than our current top of the line models before the FPGA price increase. We realize the Radiance Pro price point is already significantly more than the Radiance 2144, but we will likely have to raise prices at some point to cover the additional FPGA cost.

=======

On a happier note, we have confirmed that Sony has removed the "Sony only" constraint on the FMPX10 4K Ultra HD Media Player such that it works with the Radiance Pro.

=======

Please contact us at sales@lumagen.com if you are interested in the Radiance Pro Beta program.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen

[Updated on: Sat, 18 April 2015 12:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Fri, 08 May 2015 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
We are making progress on the Radiance Pro software, although we have been slowed fighting bugs in the new HDMI chips. Hopefully we are past those now.

So now looks like first "Early Beta" shipments will be next week. They will ship with "Alpha" software that will need to be updated to "Beta" before serious use.

Early Beta is still under NDA, but we continue to look for more Beta sites. Email us at sales@lumagen.com to get the Beta NDA to sign if you would like additional Radiance Pro information.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Sun, 24 May 2015 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
We shipped the first Radiance Pro Beta units last week. Feels good to reach this milestone.

Currently we have Alpha level software, and we should be completing the initial Beta Software release in June. These Beta units are considered to have production hardware. We are still in what we consider to be the "Early Beta" period, and are requiring an NDA for details/purchase of a Radiance Pro. We expect to be able to release the NDA and enter our main Beta phase this summer.

===

In the mean time here is some additional information on the Radiance Pro models:

All inputs and outputs are HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 and support up to 4k60, 8-bit, 4:2:0.

The Radiance Pro feature set will include most current Radiance features, such as Lumagen NoRing(TM) scaling, anamorphic screen support without the need for an anamorphic lens (or with and A-lens if you prefer), 17x17x17 3D LUT CMS, and Darbee DVP(TM) for 1080p inputs.

The inputs are on "dual input" daughter cards and the outputs are on "dual output" daughter cards. This allow us to offer upgrades when new HDMI technology becomes available to us. It also allows replacing a single input/output card if there is a surge event that takes out an input/output, rather than the entire unit.

The Radiance Pro can have up to eight inputs, and four "processed" outputs. Just as the Radiance units now have two outputs that can output audio and/or video from the same source, these four outputs also output the same processed video and/or audio stream. Having four outputs allows for a projector, a TV, and a Receiver/Audio-processor. This configuration has been a common request from Radiance customers.

In addition, there can be up to six additional zones of switched (only) outputs. These are independent and give the Radiance Pro up to seven independent zones. We have had many installers asking for one or more extra zones to avoid the need for a separate matrix switch. The additional six zone capability is a response to these requests.

The switched outputs are straight switching outputs for both audio and video. So, for optimal performance, each zone should have the same capabilities so one zone does not limit the features in another. We will also have features that can change EDID back to a source programmatically when a less capable zone selects it as a source.

Since the I/O is modular we had to decide on which configurations we will support. We have actually changed the configuration mix a couple times, but have a set of three we are now spec'ing. We also had to decide on a short-hand way to describe the configuration. We will specify the I/O as inputs x processed_outputs x switched_outputs.

The three configuration we are currently supporting are:

Radiance Pro 4440: Two inputs, four processed outputs, no switched outputs. This is described as 2x4x0, and is intended for use with a whole house matrix switch for large homes.

Radiance Pro 4446: Eight inputs, four processed outputs, no switched outputs. This is described as 8x4x0. We expect this to be the most common model for use in 4k theaters.

Radiance Pro 4449: Eight inputs, four processed outputs, six switched outputs. This is described as 8x4x6. The addition of matrix switching allows this to be the whole house switch hub for homes requiring seven zones or less, with the main zone having up to four processed outputs.

We are looking for more Radiance Pro Beta testers. We are giving a discount and extra trade-in value during the Early Beta period. If you are interested in more Radiance Pro information please email sales@lumagen.com and I will send you the NDA.

Thanks.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Tue, 26 May 2015 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alex_t is currently offline alex_t
Lumagen Expert
Hello Jim.

Thank you for sharing these information.

I have quoted your last explanation with a short French explanation on my site : http://performances-home-cinema.fr/2015/05/25/lumagen-radian ce-pro-4k-faisons-un-point-ensemble/

Do you know if Darbee plans to update their code to process 4K incoming signal ?

Regards
Alexandre
Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Tue, 26 May 2015 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark_H is currently offline Mark_H
Lumagen Expert
jim_peterson wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 16:35

All inputs and outputs are HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 and support up to 4k60, 8-bit, 4:2:0.

The UHD spec is 10-bit video...? Do you anticipate an update to the Pro to support that bit depth?

Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Sun, 05 July 2015 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
Mark_H wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 01:38
jim_peterson wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 16:35

The UHD spec is 10-bit video...? Do you anticipate an update to the Pro to support that bit depth?

We expect to support UHD in the Radiance Pro. The calibration pipeline is already 12+ bits, but given the new Gamma curve of UHD, and that the 3D LUT is in linear Gamma space, we will be working on even more precision than currently in the Radiance.

NOTE: This is for the Pro only. Older units do not have the FPGA gates for additional precision for UHD.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen

[Updated on: Sun, 05 July 2015 18:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Radiance Pro with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 Sun, 05 July 2015 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
We have posted the Radiance Pro (Beta) on the Lumagen website here:

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_deta ils

Note to those under NDA: You can publish, or send out, any information Lumagen publically posts on the Radiance Pro, such as on our website or this public Radiance Pro thread.

Dealers, you can demo the Radiance Pro and discuss any such information with customers.

================

Note on Radiance Pro status:

We have posted the first "Early Beta" release on the Lumagen website update page. We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but have made significant progress. You can follow the progress in the release notes that are shown with each release.

We are pleased that those comparing the Radiance Pro to earlier Radiance units say the image quality is already better using the Pro. This is, of course, for a progressive source since the Pro does not yet have any form of deinterlacing in the current Early Beta software.

If you are interested in being part of our Beta team, please email us at sales@lumagen.com. We are offering some discount to the eventual price on the Radiance Pro as a thank-you to people who purchase during the Early Beta period. The amount of the discount will be reduced as we progress in the development.

Note that we believe the Radiance Pro hardware is already at Production level. We believe all it will take to have a Production Radiance Pro is to load Production Software once it becomes available.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Previous Topic:Genlock on Radiance Pro
Next Topic:Calibration newbie
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 15 05:04:28 GMT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04002 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Convergent AV    Light Illusion