Lumagen Forum
Lumagen Support Forum: Official Lumagen Video Processor & Scaler Forum

Members   Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Lumagen Video Processors & Scalers » Radiance XD User Support » Audioformats with HDMI in and Spdif out
Audioformats with HDMI in and Spdif out Sat, 15 June 2013 10:06 Go to next message
fredman is currently offline fredman
Which kind of audio is supported on Spdif out when the input comes from HDMI?

I have a Sonos Playbar and a Panasonic VT50. Because the optical out of the Pana for HDMI inputs is only 2.0 stereo I connect my XE Spdif1 out and a Toslink adapter with the Playbar. To get my TV sound from the Panas internal receiver I connect Toslink input 1 with my TV and refer this input to video input 8, though I don´t use this video input.

So far, this works, but the result is, that from the HDMi inputs the sound is only stereo. That is the same as I have directly from the optical out of the Pana.
Re: Audioformats with HDMI in and Spdif out Sat, 15 June 2013 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doug Blackburn is currently offline Doug Blackburn
Why do you want sound from the TV? If you have 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, all of your sound should be coming from an AVR (audio/video receiver) or surround sound processor. You should not need the Radiance processor for ANY sound. Connect all sources to the AVR or surround processor and connect the output of the AVR or surround processor to the Radiance processor and use the Radiance processor only for video.

It is common for audio outputs for TVs to be stereo only.
Re: Audioformats with HDMI in and Spdif out Sat, 15 June 2013 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I wrote I have a Sonos Playbar which has only a Toslink input. And my special behavior request is the possibilty to get better audio then stereo from the hdmi equipment.

The Toslink out from the VT50 outputted Dolby Digital only when the internal receiver is in use. I hoped, that the Hdmi-Inputs of the Radiance would give out a DD-Signal via the digital out. But I believe to get this I must connect any source with a digital audio input of the Radiance.
Re: Audioformats with HDMI in and Spdif out Sun, 16 June 2013 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
SPDIF (refered to as COAX in the Radiance) connections support 2-channel stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 and 7.1 (DD), and DTS 5.1 and 7.1 (DTS).

If you are using the SPDIF output from a Radiance, you should go into the top level Audio Menu and change to "Always" (the default), then "User1 EDID" (not the default). When configured this way the list defaults to 2 channel PCM at 44.1KHz, 48 KHz, and 96 KHz, plus DD. You can navigate to the third column with the list of modes, press OK and use the up/down arrows to select a specific mode you ant to enable/disable, then use the left and right arrows to enable or disable the selected mode. You can use this to enable DTS if your receiver supports it. Press OK again to get out of change mode and then EXIT to get out of the Menu. Make sure to do a Save after any changes.

You should NOT enable DD HD or DTS HD audio when using SPDIF output, since they are not compatible with SPDIF and you may get potentially damaging noise if you feed these to a SPDIF receiver.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Re: Audioformats with HDMI in and Spdif out Sun, 16 June 2013 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Jim!

I did it as you described but the output was only Stereo. The inputs are all with HDMI, so it looks as if the audio input via HDMI will not fully transferred to the coax digital output.

The audio from the TV, input into the Radiance via optical digital, outputted DD 5.1 at the coax, so I think the converter coax to toslink work very well. I think that the Radiance behaviour is exact the same as the Pana TV do: audio input via HDMI - no audio output signal better then stereo via the coax digital.
Re: Audioformats with HDMI in and Spdif out Mon, 17 June 2013 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
The Radiance can definitely take DD, and DTS, in on an HDMI input, and then output them on COAX. We have tested this, and I believe there are still a number of Radiance owners using the COAX output for DD and DTS from an HDMI input.

After you change the settings on the Radiance for USER EDID, and do a Save, power cycle the source device. Some source devices (incorrectly) only check EDID on power on.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Re: Audioformats with HDMI in and Spdif out Tue, 18 June 2013 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks again. It seems to work but the Sonos doesn´t show the correct signal it received from the Radiance. It shows always "No signal" but you can clearly hear that there is more than only stereo.

Curiously the Sonos shows the right audio format if the input is done via the Toslink input of the Radiance.
Re: Audioformats with HDMI in and Spdif out Sun, 27 November 2016 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Treworgey is currently offline Treworgey
Hi, I am having a similar issue to this with the latest Apple TV 4 and a Lumagen XS. The Apple TV 3 had an optical (Toshlink) output and with this fed directly to the AVR it worked. They have now removed this connector relying on the HDMI. So I thought I could use the COAX out from the Lumagen to extract the audio. This works but only up to Dolby Pro Logic - no DD. I have tried the recommended settings on the Lumagen and tried forcing the Apple TV to output DD 5.1, but no joy. When the Apple TV is set to DD 5.1 no sound out. I have read that the Apple TV outputs DD plus, is this un-supported on SPDIF (COAX)?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Alternatively is there a device, other that an AVR, that could extract Toshlink data from an HDMI feed that I could direct to my AVR? (My AVR is pre-HDMI)

Many thanks in advance,

Chris Williams
Re: Audioformats with HDMI in and Spdif out Tue, 29 November 2016 22:08 Go to previous message
Treworgey is currently offline Treworgey
Well, I have managed to get it working! Instead of using the global audio setting, I used the inout based setting and applied a custom setting (the same options I used on the global setting) and it worked!

Not sure if I just got something wrong on the global setting or whether there is a 'feature' in the firmware, but in any case I am now happy! Very Happy

Cheers,

Chris
Previous Topic:Calibration newbie
Next Topic:Radiance Pro 18 GHz Output Card
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 15 03:42:37 GMT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03002 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Convergent AV    Light Illusion