Lumagen Forum
Lumagen Support Forum: Official Lumagen Video Processor & Scaler Forum

Members   Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Lumagen Video Processors & Scalers » Radiance XD User Support » On-screen display of AVR volume level(Feature request - please add OSD of volume level)
On-screen display of AVR volume level Sat, 10 November 2012 06:13 Go to next message
lovingdvd is currently offline lovingdvd
I love my Radiance XS and one of the main reasons I went with the XS was to send audio to my HDMI 1.3 compliant Yamaha RX-V1800 AVR, and not have to upgrade the AVR to handle 3D (or 4K soon enough).

However the one key downside to this is that I do not have on-screen display of the receiver's volume level, since of course the receiver is not connected to my display.

I do not know if there is a standard way that the Radiance XS could monitor and read the volume level from the receiver over HDMI, and overlay the volume level when it detected it was changing. About a year ago I was talking with Patrick about this. He thought it may be possible to do it.

I was wondering if other Radiance owners would find this feature useful, and if its something Lumagen could add. Thanks!
Re: On-screen display of AVR volume level Sat, 10 November 2012 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CO_JCD is currently offline CO_JCD
I have to say, before anything like this is added, I would much rather see the outstanding audio delay feature implemented on the XE.

It is this that is currently killing my 2-ch system (your AVR probably handles audio delay itself however, 2-ch systems tend not to have this functionality)

John
Re: On-screen display of AVR volume level Thu, 20 December 2012 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alex_t is currently offline alex_t
Lumagen Expert
If you AVR is able to feedback the audio level by RS232 then you can ask to the radiance to display it through the command ZTMxxxx<CR>

I did with my ADA 7.1HD and my NEVO remote (with NEVO connect) and it works very well.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 December 2012 14:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: On-screen display of AVR volume level Thu, 20 December 2012 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dsinger is currently offline dsinger
lovingdvd wrote on Sat, 10 November 2012 01:13
I love my Radiance XS and one of the main reasons I went with the XS was to send audio to my HDMI 1.3 compliant Yamaha RX-V1800 AVR, and not have to upgrade the AVR to handle 3D (or 4K soon enough).

However the one key downside to this is that I do not have on-screen display of the receiver's volume level, since of course the receiver is not connected to my display.

I do not know if there is a standard way that the Radiance XS could monitor and read the volume level from the receiver over HDMI, and overlay the volume level when it detected it was changing. About a year ago I was talking with Patrick about this. He thought it may be possible to do it.

I was wondering if other Radiance owners would find this feature useful, and if its something Lumagen could add. Thanks!

I have the same problem with a RXV 2700. Would be a nice addition.
Re: On-screen display of AVR volume level Mon, 24 December 2012 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
Unfortunately the RadianceXS has a single video data bus and so can not show both the main image and the volume OSD from a receiver/PrePro.

The RadianceXE can do this using the PiP window. In fact there are several features for the PiP window specifically for displaying a volume control. These are a time-out on the PiP window so it automatically turns off after a preset time, and the ability to crop the OSD from the receiver/PrePro to only show the volume control section of the OSD.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Re: On-screen display of AVR volume level Mon, 24 December 2012 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dsinger is currently offline dsinger
Jim: Thanks. I will try that. Merry XMAS.

Dave Singer
Re: On-screen display of AVR volume level Mon, 24 December 2012 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lovingdvd is currently offline lovingdvd
jim_peterson wrote on Mon, 24 December 2012 02:06
Unfortunately the RadianceXS has a single video data bus and so can not show both the main image and the volume OSD from a receiver/PrePro.

The RadianceXE can do this using the PiP window. In fact there are several features for the PiP window specifically for displaying a volume control. These are a time-out on the PiP window so it automatically turns off after a preset time, and the ability to crop the OSD from the receiver/PrePro to only show the volume control section of the OSD.

Thanks Jim. When I first spoke to Patrick about it a year or so ago, the idea we discussed was not to overlay the volume window PIP-style. Rather, we were wondering whether it was possible for the Radiance XS to access the volume level setting somehow, and then have the Radiance show a volume bar of its own to reflect the volume on the AVR - as it is moved up and down. Is this possible?
Re: On-screen display of AVR volume level Wed, 26 December 2012 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim_peterson
Lumagen Expert
Lumagen Guru
lovingdvd wrote on Mon, 24 December 2012 07:34

Thanks Jim. When I first spoke to Patrick about it a year or so ago, the idea we discussed was not to overlay the volume window PIP-style. Rather, we were wondering whether it was possible for the Radiance XS to access the volume level setting somehow, and then have the Radiance show a volume bar of its own to reflect the volume on the AVR - as it is moved up and down. Is this possible?

While this is not impossible (assuming the Receiver had a RS232 interface), I don't believe it is likely to happen.

I think the best option is to consider an upgrade to a RadianceXE-3D and use its PiP for the volume window.

Note there is a command to display a "volume bar" in any Radiance, but of course this would require a control system. So this may not be an option. The command is (as described in TechTip 11):

ZTMxxxx<CR>
Print message on the screen-- M = '0' to '9'... '9' leaves message until "ZC" sent. 2 lines, 30 characters per line, legal characters '' through 'z' (0x20 - 0x7a in hex), a carriage return or '{' can be used to terminate message. ASCII extended characters set solid block for use as a volumebar. Also see command "ZBc".

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Re: On-screen display of AVR volume level Wed, 26 December 2012 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manni is currently offline Manni
Another option is to use an IP/RS-232 controller like iRule (I assume this is what Alex_t is doing with the Nevo), which can display a volume bar on the ipad/iphone you use to control your equipment.

I am using iRule and my iPad to control all my AV gear, first because it doesn't need line of sight as it's over IP, second to get around the IR flooding in 3D of the JVC projector which causes a lot of problems with other devices, and third because it's really Cool.

My Denon 3311 can send some status data (including volume) over IP/RS-232, and iRule displays both the volume value in dB and the volume bar.

The fact that the volume is not on screen is in fact great because I can raise it discreetly without my OH noticing:).

I'll try the command to display the volume bar on screen though, just to see if it works (as I assume iRule should be able to send it), and I'll report here.

Sources: Sony S570 (YCbCr 4-2-2), Dune BD Base 3.0 (YCbCr 4-4-4), HTPC (AMD 7870 YCbCr 4-2-2), Humax TN5000 (YCbCr 4-2-2) to
AVR: Denon 3311 to
VP: Radiance Mini 3D (input auto, output YCbCr 4-2-2) to
PJ: JVC X30 (RS-45)
All connections HDMI High Speed

[Updated on: Wed, 26 December 2012 09:30]

Re: On-screen display of AVR volume level Wed, 26 December 2012 09:57 Go to previous message
alex_t is currently offline alex_t
Lumagen Expert
Manni wrote on Wed, 26 December 2012 10:29
Another option is to use an IP/RS-232 controller like iRule (I assume this is what Alex_t is doing with the Nevo), which can display a volume bar on the ipad/iphone you use to control your equipment.

I am using iRule and my iPad to control all my AV gear, first because it doesn't need line of sight as it's over IP, second to get around the IR flooding in 3D of the JVC projector which causes a lot of problems with other devices, and third because it's really Cool.

My Denon 3311 can send some status data (including volume) over IP/RS-232, and iRule displays both the volume value in dB and the volume bar.

The fact that the volume is not on screen is in fact great because I can raise it discreetly without my OH noticing:).

I'll try the command to display the volume bar on screen though, just to see if it works (as I assume iRule should be able to send it), and I'll report here.

Hi manni.

Yes I use my NEVO controller to display the ADA suite 7.1HD's volume feedback (from RS232) on my NEVO remote. I also use the Radiance to display this feedback on my video projector through the command ZTMxxxx<CR>.

Another option is to buy the UTv2 if the AVR can send the volume though RS232.

UTv2 (http://www.switch-box.com/Universal_Translator.html) is a standalone device. I used it with my Lexicon MC12 and with my ADA suite 7.1HD. You can ask an update of UTV2 for your AVR as I did for the ADA suite 7.1HD (I just gave the RS232 code and protocol). It worked very well.

[Updated on: Wed, 26 December 2012 15:04]

Previous Topic:Thanks for all your support during 2012
Next Topic:No Audio Signal Input 1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Nov 13 00:13:49 GMT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02001 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Convergent AV    Light Illusion